My Photos

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Faux Hand tooled Leather Part 1

When I went to Hobby Lobby to get origami supplies for my daughter, I went to the scrapbooking section of the store and found these awesome aged book covers. I just loved them and decided that I could pull that off at home, lol! I took it a step further though and made faux hand tooled leather. I'm going to have to do this tutorial in three parts because I have 11 photos :-). I used two 4" coasters for my covers because we know someone who owns a restaurant and he gave me a ton of them for free! Gotta love it :-) !

Here is what you will need:
Paper:
Crumb Cake card stock- cut into 4x4 squares and corner round each corner (or you could trim after adhering to your covers)
Classic Stampin' Ink:
Early Espresso, Cajun Craze, Soft Suede
Other Supplies:
Finial Press Textured Impressions embossing folder
Brayer
Sponges
Yes glue
Royal Coat satin decoupage medium

Step 1. Take 2 pieces of 4x4 Crumb Cake card stock and run them through the Big Shot in the Finial Press embossing folder. These will be your covers- front and back.

Step 2. Ink your brayer with Early Espresso ink and brayer over the Finial Press embossed card stock covers. You may have to do this a couple of times, but do it lightly so you don't get ink on anything except the raised areas of the embossed card stock.
Step 3. With Cajun Craze and a sponge, lightly sponge over each cover, leaving some areas un-inked.
Step 4. Again with Cajun Craze, sponge over the edges and a few areas of the card stock to deepen the color of the ink.
Step 5. With Soft Suede ink, sponge over the areas you didn't sponge with Cajun Craze and also on the edges. You will want the Cajun Craze to show through the Soft Suede so don't ink too heavily.

See post #2 below for the rest of the instructions...

No comments: